Saturday, December 14, 2013

HOLLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: 'Prayers answered' is a special story!


(NOTE: Holland Elementary School Principal Sue Massucci passed along this special Christmas story, written by a young student at the school.)


By
Jaxson Kubitz

     George Doung was an old man living in the West Side Homeless Shelter.  Every night he prayed for an angel to come down and help him have a great Christmas.  On December 24th, not an angel came down, but little Jimmy Gray from Wood Wing Road answered his prayer!
     Skipping down the street, going to school, his dad said, “Slow down, Jimmy!  Wait for me!” 
     He slowed down next to dad’s waist.  They turned the corner and they saw the homeless shelter.  One poor man stood out in the crowd to Jimmy.  It was George.  His sad face marked Jimmy’s brain with an image of sadness.  A sign outside the shelter said they needed helpers for Christmas dinner. 
     “Daddy, can we help them?”
     “Sure son, but we have to ask your mom first.”
     While at school, Jimmy had a sad face all day, blinded by George’s face every time he blinked. 
     “Jimmy, why so sad?” he heard all day because he was a joyful kid at school, especially when the holidays rolled around. 
     So, class finally got out and his mom came to pick him up.
     “So, mommy, can all of us go help out at the shelter on the corner to serve food for their Christmas dinner?  Before you say no,” (because his mom never goes through with his ideas)
     “Yes.”
     “I think it will make me less spoiled…wait, what did you say?”
     “I said yes!  Jimmy, I think it is amazing that you want to help the homeless people have a great Christmas.”
     “Well, thank you for going through with my idea for once.  See, I told you not all of them are bad!”

Christmas Day
     I just opened my presents and we were walking to the corner, corn in my hand, lasagna in mom’s hands and a big turkey in Dad’s.  We get there and I see there are more people than I remembered, but I still see George’s sad face.  I go over to him and say, “I’m Jimmy, what’s your name?”
     “George,” he says.
     “Well, what are you so sad about?”
     “Before I got in here, I had a wife and 2 kids.  After I lost my job, she kicked me out of the house and she took my kids away from me and I never saw them again.  All I want for Christmas is to see my kids again.”
     I took my parents and we left.  We showed up at his old house and went up to his door.  His ex-wife answered the door, “Yeah, what do you want?”
     “Can we see George’s kids?”
     “Who is George?” she asked.
     “The father of those kids you have in your house.”
      “Kenny! Barbara!  This snotty kid wants to see you,” she yelled.
     “Hello.  Can we help you?” they said.
     “Wow, you are kinder than her,” I said.
     “Thanks, we get it from our dad.”
     “Well, speaking of your dad how would you like to see your dad for Christmas?” I asked.
     “That would be awesome!” Kenny said.
     “Ditto!” said Barbara.
     So we hopped in the car and drove off to the shelter.  Once we got there, the kids jumped out of the car.  Seeing their dad and their dad seeing them, he had tears running down his face.
      “Kids!” he said. 
     He hugged his kids, putting his head on their shoulders.  He mouthed “thank you” to me, my mom and dad and we mouthed “your welcome” back.
     While they caught up, we passed out food to the other people. 
     George came over to me and said, “You are the angel I prayed to God for to make my Christmas great, but you made it spectacular!”


No comments:

Post a Comment