Saturday, April 22, 2017

TOMMIE SAYLOR refuses to live in fear as the district turns toward a new day


“The scariest moment is always just before you start,”
Stephen King

By Tommie Saylor
Kennedy High School Principal

I refuse to live my life in fear.

I refuse to be frozen into indecision, inaction or to run scared from events that are inevitable. 

I refuse to imagine, dream of pit falls, dangers or potential calamities.

I refuse to overemphasis the negative or look for possible disasters no matter how unlikely they may be. 

I refuse to look only into the darkness, embrace imagined fears, and expect the worst from my fellow man.

I refuse! I cast off the mantle of dread. I choose to embrace the light.

What we have before us is an immense opportunity, a once in a lifetime chance to “wipe the slate clean” and start over creating a new high school with new practices, traditions and procedures that will last for generations. 

I’m not saying that it will be easy. There will be pain along the way, but let’s keep our “eyes on the prize, not the price”. 

We are pioneers, the “founding fathers” of a new educational facility, creators of what will soon become the premiere Downriver high school. Fear is too easy and irrational. Courage builds confidence, strength, and opens the mind to endless possibilities. 

Together we will make it through this process. We will overcome all obstacles and avoid the pitfalls. 

United we will overcome the darkness and rejoice in the light.  Collectively, much like inventers, discoverers, and creators before us, we to will prevail; soon to rejoice in the wonders of our creation.


Helping students to find their greatness. Making Kennedy the school of choice. Excellence by design.

No comments:

Post a Comment