Sunday, September 20, 2015

TOMMIE SAYLOR: A simple act of kindness can go a long way


“Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”
-- Princess Diana

By Tommie Saylor
Kennedy High School Principal

The power of kindness can go a long way.

Last week, the first week of school, was very hectic. It seemed as if I was going in a hundred directions at the same time. People constantly filling my office needing this, wanting that and asking questions. The district needed information, reports that must be completed. Then there were technology issues, repairs that must be expedited and a press box that was vandalized. One could only imagine how my mind was working overtime trying to find solutions to every concern, consumed with getting this year off to a good start.

Through all of this, I decided to do something that I rarely get to do. I decided to go and get something for lunch. I needed a few minutes, a break from all the worry, the opportunity to go pick something up and then get back into the game.

On my way out of the building, I saw a young man and what appeared to be his father. In the young man’s hand was a folder that we all can easily recognize as the district folder given to new enrollees at Pupil Accounting.

It was not hard to draw the conclusion that this was a new student and his parent coming to the building on their last leg of a journey to get the student enrolled at Kennedy High School.

I could have just walked by. They did not know me. I was after all taking a small mental break. But for some reason, I just could not pass by these two individuals without a greeting.

So I stopped, introduced myself, shook the father’s and new student’s hand, welcomed them to Kennedy High School, explained to them that all they had to do was push the door buzzer and say that they were here to enroll a new student and needed to go to counseling. I assured them that they would be well looked after. Following an additional round of handshakes, I departed, off to find my lunch.

Later that same day, following an afternoon of organized chaos, one of our counselors entered my office and told me that the new student and his father that I greeted earlier were an out-of-district school of choice family. She went on to say, that following their meeting where the student was assigned classes and granted a locker, the new student’s father offered some rather encouraging words.

He stated that he was so very glad for making the choice to bring his student to Kennedy, that everyone was so kind, helpful and polite.

According to this counselor, the father stated that he has never experienced such kindness nor has he ever felt so welcomed by a school. He was pleased to have made Kennedy High School his school of choice.

All this took was a few seconds of our time. A few seconds of greeting on my part, a kind word by the counseling secretary and a smile with helpful efforts on the part of the counselor.

That extra step, that extra effort makes a different. Simply, kindness counts.

How and where will you lead them. Making Kennedy the school of choice. Excellence by design.

No comments:

Post a Comment