Monday, May 26, 2014

TOMMIE SAYLOR: I was not the best, but I served with the best ...


“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.”
William Shakespeare, Henry V, Act 4, Scene 3

By Tommie Saylor
Kennedy High School Principal

I was not the best to serve, but I served with the best.

I was not the bravest to don the uniform, but I stood with the bravest.

I was not the strongest, the fastest, the best shot; I was nowhere near the best NCO (non-commissioned officer), the best tactician, nor even the best cavalrymen. But I gave my best. I heard the call of my nation, placed myself in harm’s way, and did her biding to the fullest extent of my talents.  
I was only one of many who held the thin green line between tyranny and freedom; I was, and am, a patriot.

For all who served, I salute you; for you are my brother, and understand things deep inside of me that no other can possibly comprehend.

Be well, my brothers, be well.

Remember, their future is in our hands. Making Kennedy the school of choice. Excellence by design.

No comments:

Post a Comment