Monday, April 15, 2013

Alyssa Domonkos: 'I was actually in disbelief' at West Point nomination

Kennedy High School's Alyssa Domonkos couldn't quite believe it when she found out that she is one of this year's nominees for acceptance at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

"I was actually in disbelief at first," said the JROTC cadet. "It is quite an honor and my family and I were ecstatic."

Domonkos is the first Kennedy graduate in history to win such a nomination. A stellar student and avid athlete, Domonkos is the only child of Stephen and Kimberley Domonkos. Neither of Alyssa's parents have any military background.


Domonkos admitted that she started thinking about attempting to attend West Point after her freshmen year in high school. And she had a few schools to fall back on had she not gotten a nomination. In fact, she had a Senior ROTC Army Scholarship to Western Michigan University that she declined after gaining the prestigious honor.

The captain of the Kennedy girls' basketball team, she said that athletics in general that the position specifically helped her round into a well-rounded high school student.

"The experience that I gained as the captain has helped me become a better leader as well as improve my physical fitness," she admitted. "Also, it was proof that I can balance more than just academics."

Would Alyssa Domonkos recommend the JROTC program to other students? Does she think JROTC participation makes cadets better students and more grounded individuals?

"Yes, yes, yes!" she said. "JROTC was one of the best decisions I've made in my life so far. Not only does the program teach leadership and responsibility, but it is also the reason why I know what I want to do with my life.

"It is an excellent course and I would recommend every student take it."

Domonkos also took time to thank the leaders of the JROTC program, Maj. Peppins and SFC Burton, for all of their support over the years -- and especially with the West Point nomination.

"They are two great men who I could not thank enough for all of their help and support," she said.

For more on Alyssa's background and other honors that went to students in the JROTC program, read the April 11 blog, "Domonkos becomes the first Kennedy student appointed to West Point."

No comments:

Post a Comment