Monday, February 20, 2017

TOMMIE SAYLOR: Don't be 'that' adult

“People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude.”
John C. Maxwell

By Tommie Saylor
Kennedy High School Principal

So I’m sitting on a traditional yellow school bus on Saturday afternoon after a band event.  Sitting next to me is a beautiful young lady, blonde hair, deep blue eyes and I’m holding her hand. She’s my girlfriend. 

Being a young man myself, a band geek, as we were so very proud to proclaim, I was having a good day; what could be possibly better than spending a Saturday with your girlfriend and comrades at a MSBOA event.

Then it happened: One of the chaperones, a parent from a less than popular student, a volunteer who I’m fairly certain has had more than one run in with the school administration, embarks upon the bus and with a sense of vial satisfaction painted across her face, approaches my position with a distinct walk of righteous indignation. 

This chaperone looks down her nose at me and proclaims loud enough for all to hear, “I don’t care that your father is the Principal, you’re not just going to sit there and publicly defile this young lady.”

I remind you that we were only sitting in a bus seat holding hands and engaging in polite conversation. So as you can imagine, I was taken quite aback. I gave this chaperone a slacked jaw gaze of wonderment, trying to make sense of what she was telling me, when she hit me with a second course.

“You think your just so special don’t you, that you don’t have to follow the rules.  Kids like you amount to nothing in life.”

Hoping to end this verbal assault, I let go of my girlfriends hand and the chaperone moved proudly on, halo firmly affixed upon her head, as she righteously marched to the back of the bus gleaming with pride.

To this day that chaperone’s words echo in my head.  The venom in her voice, the loathing washed across her face and her hateful demeanor will be with me forever.  Though this occurred a lifetime ago, the scars from that day will never fully heal.

Words have meaning, and when that meaning is emphasized by emotion, they become eternal.

Given this, be careful when speaking to your students. Don’t be the cause of scars that will haunt your students for the rest of their lives.  Be a source of inspiration and delight, build your students up. 

You don’t know who, but one of your students in your classes right now will be a doctor or attorney, a teacher or principal, a congressmen or senator, or maybe even governor or president.

What story will they tell others of you?

Helping students to find their greatness. Making Kennedy the school of choice. Excellence by design.

##



No comments:

Post a Comment