Saturday, October 22, 2016

TOMMIE SAYLOR: Remaining on course is never easy

This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly. Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today. This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt, first inaugural address

By Tommie Saylor
Kennedy High School Principal

When I was a young lad and I found myself wrapped in a difficult task, I often heard the adults around me say “it builds character.” 

For many years I believed that challenges that must be overcome to build one’s character and a better person. Much later in life I heard another version of this old saying, that difficult times “reveal character.” 

Once again I jumped on this bandwagon, expounding to all that would listen this newly acquired nugget of wisdom.

Today, being a little older and wiser, I firmly believe both adages are true.  Times of stress not only reveal one’s true being, it also changes us in a very fundamental way.  Much like the butterfly evolves from the caterpillar, the cocoon of life challenges irreversibly changes who we are and reveals what we have become.

Look hard enough and you will find previous “Friday Updates” centered on the above theme.  Why resurrect an old topic?  Because I believe it is needed.

When asked, “How is it going this year?” I resort to my old standby response of, “Great, we are having a good year.” Why? I don’t like airing dirty laundry. 

What is the truth? 

The truth is that we have had a challenging start to the school year.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying things are bad, I’m saying that things have not been easy this school year.  We are taking care of business and students are learning, but this year it seems to be a little more difficult to accomplish the same high standards that we have become accustomed to achieving here at Kennedy High School. 

Why? I believe it is because of some of the changes the district has experienced this year. I’m not saying it is anyone’s fault; I’m just saying that change is difficult and when changes occur people become nervous and tentative. 

New leadership, change in the evaluation process and tools, the loss of personnel, and the uncertainty of the future has all contributed to a heightened state of concern.

It is this lingering black cloud of ambiguity that allows the demons of insecurity to erode our confidence.  It is this distress that allows our lives to be filled with stress that saps our strength.  In other words, we are getting the job done, but this year the job seems to be a bit harder.

The only remaining question is how are we going to react to our fear and uncertainties?  We shut down, keep our heads down and do the bare minimum (to the detriment of our students) or we can suck it up, drive on, and stay the course. 

The course of action you decide to take will not only reveal your character, it will also change you for the better or worst.

So be careful and choose wisely. Always remember that your thoughts become your words, your actions and reflect and define who you are.

Helping students to find their greatness. Making Kennedy the school of choice. Excellence by design.

NOTE: Parent Teacher Conference is quickly approaching.  Making a couple of parent contacts with each of your student’s parents is a must.  Likewise, grades should be up to date at all times. Do not wait until the last minute.




No comments:

Post a Comment