Wednesday, October 5, 2016

KENNEDY TEACHER RESPONDS to principal's column

Editor’s Note: Randy Bennett, a teacher at Kennedy High School, recently lost his father, Principal Tommie Saylor wrote a heartfelt columnabout the passing, which he shared on the blog. The following letter is Bennett’s response.)

Dear Mr. Saylor and John F. Kennedy High School Faculty and Staff,

Thank you for the kind words of sympathy and support during this trying time for my family and I. I am at a loss for words to describe my dad.  He was the patriarch for the entire Bennett family – a most conspicuous entity whose influence, bearing and demeanor affected us all. 

Indeed, he was part of that “Greatest Generation” that launched the United States of America into world prominence.  Those who knew him continue to feel diminished with his passing. 

Mr. Saylor, your kind and very generous words were a great help to get me through the myriad tasks that my mother and the rest of the Bennett family looked for me to accomplish. 

I was in control of my grief throughout all of the tasks, even as the honor guard fired the rifle volleys. I was in control until the bugler sounded that most haunting of melodies —“Taps.” 

Now, my school year starts. I am energized, but I will need your continued help and support to get me up to speed with procedures and curriculum. I know and have confidence that my friends and colleagues will be there when I need them. 

Having had some interaction with the staff and faculty from three different Ann Arbor Public School campuses in recent days, I am convinced that John F. Kennedy High School has some of the best teachers and staff in the State of Michigan. I continue to be impressed with the dedication and the care that so many of you demonstrate day in and day out. I just wanted to pass that along to you.

Sincerely and with heartfelt gratitude,

Randy Bennett.

No comments:

Post a Comment