Sunday, September 4, 2016

TOMMIE SAYLOR: Break it down to build it up!

“Change is the law of life.  And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
President John F. Kennedy

By Tommie Saylor
Kennedy High School Principal

I knew that I would have some time on my hands in July, so I took the opportunity to tackle a project that has been gnawing at me for a while, a six foot privacy fence that runs along the property line in my backyard. 

My son and I installed this fence a couple of years ago, and though it was functional, it was not well built.  We installed this fence in a hurry, used inferior material and really did not have the proper tools to complete the job in a professional manner. 

We ended up with this six-foot wooden privacy fence to keep our dogs in our yard, and though it served this purpose rather well, it was weak, vulnerable to the elements and looked hideous. Given a couple of years to reflect and learn what should have been done, July it was time to tear down the old fence and rebuild a newer, better fence.

When my son and I started on this project, it looked ugly.  Step one was demolition, tearing down the old fence and breaking it up into smaller pieces for disposal.  I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach, telling me that everything has gone awry.  While looking over this horrid pile of old twisted wood scattered all over my backyard, I could see nothing but disaster. Maybe I should have just left well enough alone and dealt with the ugliness of the old fence.

But then I remembered my vision, the dream of a beautiful new fence, well built and strong as well as functional.  So, I hid my fears, swallowed down my uncertainties and came to the conclusion that though the demolition phase is dreadful, it is necessary to tear down the old fence so that the new, stronger, long lasting and better fence can be created.

As the days passed and the construction of the new fence wore on, we ran into our share of problems: Uneven ground, rocky terrain, cost overruns and menacing neighbors that were full of advice yet offered no assistance. 

Through all of this, the fence slowly took shape and now stands strong and tall, level across the top regardless of the rolling topography, both charming and functional at the same time.  Needless to say, I am now very proud to boast that I built that fence.

As I stood back and admired my handiwork, it occurred to me that the lessons learned in the execution of this project are easily transferable.  As with fences, when an organization finds itself in the need of repair, the most dreadful aspect of the reformulation is the demolition. But before you can build up, you must first break down.  The key is to keep your eyes on the prize, the vision, not on what is, but what is to come.


Helping students to find their greatness. Making Kennedy the school of choice. Excellence by design.


No comments:

Post a Comment