Sunday, August 24, 2014

TOMMIE SAYLOR: Finding the perfect place to reenergize the batteries


“And now we welcome the new year, full of things that have never been”
 -- Rainer Maria Rilke

By Tommie Saylor
Kennedy High School Principal

As people filter back to school, putting in some precious prep time “getting things ready,” they often ask, “What did you do this summer?” 

It’s a common question often asked by educators, perhaps even a statement of endearment, a way of saying, ‘Hey, I missed you. How are you doing?”

With that said, let me tell you what I did this summer. 

I spent a lot of time in my happy place, the woods. For me, there is nothing better than being in the woods surrounded by nature, breathing in the crisp clean air, seeing the vast variety of emerald greens in the foliage, the smell of earth filling your nostrils, and the sounds of creatures. 

In the woods life is simple: No cell phones, no computers, no problems that can’t be easily solved. One of the many weeks I was in the woods, I found myself on the Mason County line in the Manistee National Forest at the cabin of a good friend, a retired 40-year high school science teacher, Steve Larsen. Dave Grollimund, current adjunct professor at Central Michigan University, accompanied us.

In addition my youngest son, Devin (19) and a few of his friends came along for the ride.

Let me tell you, life does not get any better than sitting around a campfire telling stories about the “Wood Witch,” the “Dog Man of Michigan” and swapping lies. This is my happy place, where my batteries get recharged. I left in June beat down, broken, and tired. I return energized, filled with optimism, rested and ready for the new school year.

I hope that all of you had this same type of opportunity. I feel that this school year will be one of the best years yet, that we already seem to be further ahead than we were last year, that we have all the right people in the right places, even our football team looks strong and ready for action.  Simply, our efforts at the end of last year placed us in a position to be successful this year and we are well on our way.

I am eager to see those thirsty little minds walk through the door enthralled with the prospect of being filled with knowledge. Teachers teaching and students learning – what a wonderful world we will soon be living in.

What starts here, changes the world. Making Kennedy the school of choice. Excellence by design.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen wonderful things "in the woods", that others cannot even begin to imagine.......and those were wholesome truths, not lies, shared around the campfire! S.L.

    ReplyDelete