Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Truman principal finds inspiration in the beautiful voices of his students


“If you want your children to turn out well, spend twice as much time with them, and half as much money,”
-- Abigail Van Buren

By Tommie Saylor
Truman High School Principal

Every now and then something happens that reminds us why we do what we do.

Last Tuesday, I attended the Truman High School Spring Choir Concert. I must admit, I did not want to go.  School let out, I stayed my usual hour and a half after school finishing a few tasks that needed to get done before I called it a day. Then I ran home for a bite to eat before returning for the concert. Sitting at home, I debated about returning to the school to attend the concert. I was tired, worn out and mentally drained, which is not an unusual situation this time of the year.  

By this point in the school year we are just about “used up.” It is the final round of a heavy weight prizefight, and though I want to be Rocky Balboa, I was feeling more like one of his victims. I have on my mind next year’s schedule, next year’s bell schedule, lunch issues, bus issues, my wife upset about something, multiple discipline issues, issues with rooms not getting cleaned at night, issues with projects that were to be completed in February still not finished, evaluations, next year’s budget where we will be suffering a reduction in funds, the oil in my car needs to be changed, the movement of some teachers from one classroom to another, the building air-conditioning not working, Internet issues, farewell and graduation just around the corner, my son wants some money to go on a school trip, maintenance lawn mowing tractor is no longer serviceable, must prepare for student hearings coming up, seniors acting foolish, some seniors not graduating, paperwork I need to get back from instructors and so forth and so forth.  

Simply, my mind is occupied and my days are full, especially this time of year as events seem to swirl out of control, and like a freight train, steaming full force to the end of the school year.

I realize that I’m not alone. All educators feel like this at this time of the year. Knowing this, I searched for a reason to just stay home. I knew that everyone would understand, that nothing would be said. Yet I also knew that the students in our choir would be looking for me in the crowd, that they enjoy seeing me there, they want me in the crowd.  

Not wanting to disappoint the students, I stopped trying to make excuses, got up off my lazy butt, and dragged myself back up to the school to watch their final performance of the year.

Then it happened. Magic!

I went to the concert to support the students, and they inspired me. I cannot express in words the beauty of their performance. They had the voices of angels and showed me once again why we do what we do!! Their conviction, passion for music, hard work and commitment was clearly expressed through their performance.  

To see the spark in their eyes and hear the inspiration in their voices was rather affirming that we are indeed making a difference at Truman. For what greater gift can we give a student than to help them find their passion, to inspire them to dream, and then show them the path they must travel to make their dreams come true …

Simply, they lifted my spirits and washed away my worries, if only for a short time, yet nevertheless a significant refreshing escape from a troublesome world. I can honestly say that I left this performance re-energized, uplifted and ready to take on the world once again.  

The crafters of the enchanted moments were James Arnold, Brenda Boumelhem (senior), Ashlee Brakke, Leonardo Bravo, DeJanae Brown (soloist), Giselle Carbajal, Kassandra Herwig, Kaileen Johnson (senior), Joseph Linebarger (senior, soloist), Taylor Locklear, Jillian Logan, William Long (senior, soloist), Emile Miller (soloist), Lisa Pendergrast, Shelby Robinson (soloist), Gina Schmelzer (senior), Austin Sawyer, Dominique
Sellers (soloist), Kelli Side (senior), Shanice Stephen, Margaret Umlab, Dwayne Walker, Sarah Warner (senior) and Kiara White.

Remember, their future is in our hands. Improving one week at a time. The New Truman High School.

2 comments: